Welcome to our Off Campus Living website. Are you are a student looking for accommodations near Nipissing University (North Bay or Muskoka campuses) or Canadore College (North Bay or Parry Sound)? Are you looking for tips and information about renting?
Our Mission Statement:
Nipissing University’s Off Campus Living Program is dedicated to providing students who choose to live off campus with the support and resources they need to become informed residents, promoting active participation in the community and on campus. By providing an advertising website of choice to landlords, students have access to a variety of housing options to suit their specific needs.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Off Campus Living office at 705.474.3450 ext. 4242 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Crime Trend Bulletin: Apartment Rental Scam Trends 2013-04-19
This bulletin was prepared to provide an overview of an online apartment rental scams and to provide a list of warning signs to assist with identifying potential apartment scams in progress.
- Apartment rental scam involves consumers contacting fraudsters through online classified advertising sites where a fraudulent posting of an apartment for rent is being listed. Once contact is made complainants are advised to send money upfront to secure the apartment before it is seen.
- Apartment rental scams have been occurring since 2007. In 2012, the CAFC received over 200 complaints in regards to the apartment rental scam and the total reported dollar loss was in excess of $110,000.00
- Victim losses have ranged from $40.00to $5,488.83. Suspects often ask for additional funds after the first payment is made. Most victims reported sending money via Western Union or Money Gram, but also some payments have been made using bank to bank wire transfers, email money transfers or through internet payment services such as Paypal.
- Since commencing in 2007, more than 500 Western Union transfers, 40 Money Gram transfers and 30 wire transfers have been identified. The majority of the transfers are being sent to the UK, Canada, the USA and Nigeria.
- Being offered a great deal on an apartment in a prime location through online classified ads.
- Seller advised that they are currently out of the country and need funds to be sent before the consumer can see the apartment.
- Consumer advised to send funds to foreign country.
- Use of Money Service Business (e.g. Western Union or MoneyGram) to send funds.
Current example: "Hello My name is Laura Parcel (F), I am 23 yrs old,I am fun,
friendly,clean, caring,and respectful of others. A non-smoker, don't do drugs, I drink occasionally, and drama free. I've been searching and searching
for two weeks for a place and been having no luck. I graduated last year at (Columbia University in New York)..i will like to know if you still have
the place available and the time frame." The other example is from Jennifer Braid.
This bulletin was prepared to provide an overview of an online apartment rental scams and to provide a list of warning signs to assist with identifying potential apartment scams
If you think you or someone you know has been a victim of fraud please contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at http://www.antifraudcentre.ca or at 1-888-495-8501.
Fraud: Recognize It, Report It, Stop It.
Please note: The information provided on the online housing lists has been provided by private landlords not associated with Nipissing University or Canadore College.
Off Campus Living does not accept responsibility or guarantee that the accommodation will be rented. The accommodations have not been inspected by Nipissing University
or Canadore College.
Nipissing University and Canadore College makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information posted or the suitability of the accommodation for student use.
Nipissing University and Canadore College assumes no responsibility in regard to any lease made with the landlord or any arrangements made by students sharing
the accommodation. Students are advised to meet with the owner and inspect the premises before signing a lease.