Legal Direction

Off campus living at laundromat


Nipissing Community Legal Clinic

(705) 476-6603

107 Shirreff Avenue Suite 214, North Bay, P1B 7K8

Your Legal Rights

  • Having issues with your landlord? Want to become more informed about your rights as a tenant? Visit the Your Legal Rights website for information on all types of laws.
  • To find laws pertaining to off campus living, click the Housing Law section. 

Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario

  • ACTO works for the advancement of human rights and justice in housing for low- income Ontarians through legal advice & representation, law reform, community organizing, training and education.
  • Click here for tips regarding rental agreements.
  • Click here for a collection of external resources.

Landlord and Tenant Board

The Landlord and Tenant Board was created by the Residential Tenancies Act on January 31, 2007. The Residential Tenancies Act gives residential landlords and tenants rights and responsibilities, and sets out a process for enforcing them.

The role of the Landlord and Tenant Board is to:

  • resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through mediation or adjudication
  • resolve eviction applications from co-ops
  • provide information to landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act

Landlord and Tenant Board website

Residential Tenancies Act link

Things to Keep in Mind:

Deposits - What can your landlord legally collect?

  • A landlord is allowed to ask you to pay a deposit before moving in. This is often called last months rent deposit.
  • This deposit cannot be more than one month's rent if you are paying by the month. If you pay rent by the week, the deposit cannot be more than one weeks rent.
  • Your landlord can use this deposit ONLY as a rent payment for your last month or week.
  • Your landlord cannot keep it or use it for any other reason, such as paying for damage or cleaning. 

Renter's/ Content Insurance

  • Consider getting renter's/ content insurance for your personal belongings as your landlord is not responsible if anything happens to your possessions, even in the case of theft or damage. You can insure your belongings against loss, theft or damage (like fire or water) at a relatively low cost. Companies that insure your car or other family property may offer discounts on a renter's insurance policy.

Are you living with your landlord?

  • If you are living with your landlord (sharing a bathroom and/or kitchen), you are not considered a tenant and so are not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act.
  • In this case you will be considered a boarder and any agreement you and your landlord make can only be enforced under contractual law. While this likely won't be a problem, it is something for you to consider while deciding on living arrangements for the next school year.
  • Also, it is important to know that “landlord” includes not just the owner of the home, but also refers to the owner’s son, daughter, spouse, or parent!

Connect with us Facebook YouTube