Protecting Yourself & Your Property
Living in North Bay, as in any large urban area, requires taking adequate safety precautions. Be observant at all times, anticipation is a major factor in preventing crimes.
- If someone knocks on your door, identify the person before you open the door.
- At all times require service personnel to provide identification and authorization from your landlord before letting them into your room or apartment.
- When traveling at night try to arrange to go with one or more friends.
- If walking, stay in well-lighted, heavily traveled areas. Walk with confidence to convey with body language that you are aware and in control.
- If you think someone is following you, switch direction or cross the street. If the follower persists, call the police immediately, and try to find a lighted store or home to ensure safety.
- Always have your keys in hand when you approach your house or apartment. Fumbling in your purse or pockets for a key can distract you and put you off guard.
- If you have to use a public laundry facility, try to always go with a friend.
- Make sure that your door has a deadbolt lock and keep it locked at all times.
- Check all windows to see if they are secure and have adequate locks. Provide coverings for your windows and pull the shades or close the drapes at night.
- Never leave an extra key outside for any reason; leave one with a friend nearby instead.